Monday, June 25, 2007

Umbrellas

I don't usually an umbrella, because I think they are a complete waste of time. Instead, I'll don my waterproof jacket and over-trousers and face the weather with impunity.
However, because my over trousers have got a bit muddy (the sign of genuine use), I've been using an umbrella for my commute.
There are a number of reasons why this isn't going to happen any more:

  1. On the train, there's nowhere to store a wet umbrella.
    I usually end up having it crushed against me.
  2. Umbrellas only keep your head and shoulders dry.
    Whilst I don't get rain in my face, the rest of me get soaked.
  3. Umbrellas don't protect you from cars, one of which will inevitably drive through a massive puddle you're cautiously passing. Bastards.
  4. Umbrellas have a distinct design flaw in that they don't turn inside out without breaking.
    Usually, and this is anecdotal observation, when there's rain enough to use an umbrella, there's also a strong breeze. All you need is to walk past the end of a building that has been protecting you from the wind, and your umbrella's fucked.
  5. Umbrellas are too easy to forget.
    It rains on the way into work, then it's sunny on the way home, so you forget about your brolly until the next morning when it's raining again, and you're cursing yourself because you left your brolly at work.
So, anyway, that's a brief overview of why I'll be binning the brolly and wearing my wet-weather gear again.

1 comment:

The Grin Reaper said...

So true... But umbrellas are a good weapon if you get into a fight. You can't do much in a raincoat. And also, its very tough to run wearing one too.