Monday, June 04, 2007

Lazy Reporting

I was looking at this news story on the BBC's Website (my brother lives in North Tawton). However, the last few lines of the story are some of the laziest reporting I have seen lately (probably because I don't read a local paper):

Another neighbour, who would only give her name as Jo, said: "It is always a tragedy when kids are involved."

So, looking at this, there was some lady who wouldn't give her name who said something really generic, and frankly wrong.

Cambridge Dictionaries define tragedy as
  1. a very sad event or situation, especially one involving death or suffering, or a play or literature about death or suffering.
  2. a play about death or suffering with a sad end, or this type of play generally.
So, it's not always a tragedy when kids are involved, it's a tragedy when someone dies or suffers.
I pay a license fee for this rubbish.
 


No comments: