Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Deployment

Just finished the most nerve racking deployment of my life.
Here are some things I need to remember:

  • Don't think you can finish stuff up whilst doing the deployment
    Rushing stuff when you're under pressure is a sure fire way to mess up royally.
  • Deploy when no-one's looking
    It's no fun finding and fixing bugs when you've got the whole company's watching.
  • Don't trust sourcesafe
    It's shit. It can't branch or merge properly. It corrupts all the time. It's a steaming pile of cow shit. Don't trust it.
  • Remember to set your alarm
    Waking up an hour later than you meant to and then rushing into work doesn't help your feeling of calm
  • Don't trust anyone else's code
    Unless you're happy with the rest of the team you work with, make sure you've got tools and monitors to see what's going on.
I'm sure there's other stuff that I need to remember, but I'm drained know. I'm going to spend the rest of the day trying to look like I'm doing work.

No comments: